Friday, April 11, 2008

Thanks Grandma!

My Grandma Stiles had a tough life. When my grandpa, Calvin, decided he wanted to get married, his friend said, "I have some sisters you can check out". So he headed to Point Marion, PA to check out the Watson sisters all lined up for him to see. He picked my 14 year old grandma, Thelma, around fifteen years younger than him. My Grandma was always good to her grandchildren--I always felt so important to her. I have many fond memories of her: sitting with her and her friends in church on Sundays, fresh rolls, Days of our Lives, brushing hair into pigtails, and presents! Every birthday, she would not only get presents for the birthday girl, but for all of us. She died one month before my 6th birthday, unexpectedly due to complications from diabetes. I didn't let anyone (including myself) brush my hair for the next six years! She may have been a little rough around the edges due to her life with my grandpa, but she was always so sweet to us. I was recently reminded of this when I got a call from my sister, Beth. She was cleaning out my dad's room and came across an old photo album, which she claimed was filled with baby pictures of me. I was skeptical--I have always complained that I have ZERO baby pictures, due to my parent's indifference, my placement as the middle child, who knows. But, indeed, my grandma managed to snap some pictures of me back in 1981, where they remained hidden until now. Enjoy my treasure:






1 comment:

Smith Clan said...

Those are amazing. I'm glad that you have some. I think Audrey looks like you sometimes. That's pretty much a good thing.