Dj and I watched a movie a couple of weeks ago, Brothers Bloom. It is one of those movies that turn out to be a little deeper than expected and kind of sticks with you. Rachel Weisz plays Penelope. When she was a kid she got tested for allergies and came back positive for everything. Her parents sheltered and protected her, never letting her experience life. When she was an adult she discovered she was not really allergic to everything, she was just allergic to the metal alloy in the needles used to test. She then spent years taking care of her invalid mother, again staying isolated. Her response to this is amazing:"This was a story about a girl who could find infinite beauty in anything, any little thing, and even love the person she was being trapped with. And I told myself this story until it became true. Now, did doing this help me escape a wasted life? Or did it blind me so I didn't want to escape it? I don't know, but either way I was the one telling my own story..."
I really like this quote because so many uncontrollable things happen in life, really unavoidable crappy things. Take those things, find some beauty in them, and don't let them hold you down. So, here's to telling my own story.
1 comment:
I relate a lot to Penelope. It sounds like the story she told herself for so long was motivated by fear. She was happy being trapped because she was afraid that she would be less happy when she wasn't confined. I'm going to rent this soon!
Post a Comment